Coordinator: Postgraduate Studies Job in Bellville, Western Cape at Cape Peninsula University of Technology –
Support / Admin Department
Cape Peninsula University of Technology -> Centre Post Grad Studies Mngt -> Post Grad Studies Mngt:Admin
Bellville Campus – Bellville, Cape Town, WC ZA (Primary)
Support / Admin
Number of Positions
Annual Salary Package (incl. Medical Aid rate based on principal member only)
To be confirmed
Advert Closing Date
Reporting to the Director: Centre for Postgraduate Studies (CPGS), the successful incumbent will coordinate the work activities taking place in the Centre for Postgraduate Studies and provide support to faculties and departments for effective and efficient administration of all postgraduate studies and postdoctoral research across all CPUT campuses. More specifically, the person in this post will be expected to coordinate the following work activities:
Quality assurance mechanisms with respect to successful postgraduate progress and throughput;
Coordination of the appointment of postdoctoral fellows;
Coordination of the Higher Degrees Committee process, including management of marks, arbitration and graduation, inter alia;
Coordination of the strategy to attract and retain postgraduate students;
Coordinate the development and implementation of training and capacity development interventions for postgraduate students;
Effective relationships with faculties to provide leadership in support of postgraduate matters;
Giving advice and support to postgraduate students in dealing with relevant problems;
Giving inputs to the management of CPGS on all postgraduate and supervision matters under the auspices of CPGS;
The promotion and the development of postgraduate student welfare systems for the attainment of academic excellence; and
The provision of an orientation programme for newly admitted postgraduate students.
The above activities are done in the in the pursuit of academic excellence.
Job Knowledge, Skills and Experience
Master’s degree in cognate field
At least 4 years’ relevant higher education experience in postgraduate and postdoctoral research administration experience
Applied knowledge of relevant research information systems
Key Performance Areas / Principal Accountabilities
1. Internal and external liaison
- Communicate with all stakeholders including external parties.
- Communicate with staff and students.
- Provide information about postgraduate activities and bursaries.
- Answer queries from all stakeholders.
2. Marketing and fundraising
- Contribute to development of marketing material.
- Contribute to planning of workshops, functions and meetings.
- Participate in functions and activities.
- Assist in sourcing of funds.
3. Policy formulation
- Work with Director to develop relevant policy.
- Understand relevant regulations.
- Keep track of new developments.
4. Capacity development programme
- Communication with external bursary funders.
- Notification to students and academics concerning external funders.
- Assistance and support for students.
- Record and monitor student participation and success.
- Promotion of opportunities.
5. Coordination and administration
- Receive and process student bursary applications.
- Keep records of bursary applications and nominations.
- Keep records of funding opportunities.
- Advertising of opportunities and funding schemes.
- Ensure compliance with regulations concerning funding.
- Administration as required for Higher Degrees Committee.
Ability to build partnerships
Planning and organising skills
Computer literacy (literate in the Microsoft 365 suite; online learning management systems e.g., Blackboard; familiar withadministrative software packages e.g., ITS)
Strong interpersonal communication skills (both verbal and written communication)
Closing date: 09 April 2023
Enquiries: Jabu Makhambi (Human Capital) [email protected]
NB: THIS SYSTEM DOES NOT ALLOW APPLICANTS TO UPLOAD CVs, QUALIFICATION, CERTIFICATES OR ANY IDENTITY DOCUMENTATION. PLEASE DO NOT E-MAIL YOUR APPLICATION OR DOCUMENTATION UNLESS IT IS REQUIRED BY THE HUMAN CAPITAL DEPARTMENT. IT IS THUS IMPORTANT THAT APPLICANTS COMPLETE ALL SECTIONS COMPREHENSIVELY AS FAILURE TO DO SO MIGHT DISADVANTAGE YOU. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR APPLICATION ON THE SYSTEM WITH THE LATEST INFORMATION AS THIS WILL BE THE ONLY CRITERIA USED FOR EVALUATION OF YOUR APPLICATION BY OUR PANEL.
The Cape Peninsula University of Technology is committed to Employment Equity and aims to attract and retain talented individuals to achieve our equity objectives and therefore, people from the designated groups, including those with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Preference will be given to applicants whose appointment contributes towards the achievement of demographic representation. We reserve the right not to make an appointment.
About the Company
Company: Cape Peninsula University of Technology –
Company Location: Bellville, Western Cape