Program Assistant Job in Pretoria, Gauteng at IFC Systems Corporation –
Organization: World Bank
Sector: Administration/Office Support
Term Duration: 3 years 0 months
Recruitment Type: Local Recruitment
Location: Pretoria,South Africa
Required Language(s): English
Closing Date: 3/27/2023 (MM/DD/YYYY) at 11:59pm UTC
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity, and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. For more information, please visit www.worldbank.org.
The World Bank Country Office in South Africa is seeking to hire two highly organized and energized professionals capable of operating effectively and discreetly in a very demanding, fast-paced and culturally diverse environment, to work as Program Assistants. They will be a member of the Team’s Administrative Client Support (ACS) staff recruited locally and based in Pretoria, South Africa. They will be expected to provide a full range of support to the Country Management Unit, with the highest level of professionalism, diplomacy, tact and discretion.
Note: If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All others will be offered a 3-year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities:
The Program Assistants will be based in Pretoria, South Africa and shall operate under the overall guidance and supervision of the Operations Manager and Senior Executive Assistant. He/she shall provide administrative and operational support to either a Practice Manager (PM) / Program Leader (PL), and/or Task Team Leaders (TTLs) within the World Bank. The job implies frequent interaction with various institutional units, staff within BELNS (Botswana, Eswatini, Lesotho, Namibia, South Africa) countries and in other locations (locally and internationally), government officials, consultants and external organizations.
Responsibilities (include but not limited to):
He/she will provide a wide range of administrative support and the accountabilities will include, but not limited to, the following areas:
- Provide primary assistance in the implementation of the unit’s work program, including some specialized support in specific areas e.g. task management, procurement, database management, information technology, editorial assistance, etc.
- Assist team or work unit(s) by editing/drafting a variety of routine documents, applying effective proofreading and grammar;
- Identify and resolve diverse issues/problems as they arise, which often requires interpretation of existing procedures and processes and independently determining the appropriate application;
- Use word processing or desktop publishing skills to produce complex text, reports, figures, graphs, etc., according to standard Bank formats and distribution; prepare standard system generated and customized reports, memoranda, and other communications; process documents for signature, ensuring documents adhere to the World Bank’s standards and guidelines;
- Coordinate team schedules, meetings, and appointments, undertake standard logistical preparations for various events, e.g. meetings, conferences, workshops, negotiations, etc.;
- Organize mission activities which include preparation/updating of mission itineraries and briefing materials, coordination of meeting schedule, travel, and security arrangements, etc.;
- Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distributes documents for the team;
- Suggest ways to enhance work organization and effectiveness; exercise quality enhancement function for project and other documents by ensuring adherence to departmental, Vice Presidential Unit (VPU) and institutional guidelines;
- Attend meetings, draft minutes and ensures timely clearance and distribution; participate in mission field work as and when required;
- Serve as an information resource on status of project/products (e.g. procurement, disbursement, audit, trust fund/co-financing, and legal issues) and draft a variety of standard project-related correspondence; monitor task budget/trust funds for specific projects on behalf of the team; participate in developing project/product time lines, using appropriate software, including operations portal, Admin Portal, travel management, DocuSign, MyTrustFund (reports), business intelligence and SAP (STC/STT and project monitoring reports).
- Additional ad-hoc responsibilities as assigned by the Management Team.
- Minimum Education/Experience: High school diploma or Diploma in Secretarial Studies or Diploma in Business Administration from a recognized institution with 5 years of experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Technology and systems knowledge – Demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, PowerPoint, Word, etc.). Has ability and willingness to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills as technology.
- Project and task management – Exhibits good organizational, problem-solving skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrates attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule.
- Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates knowledge of own department’s programs and products, knows key players, understands own role. Displays understanding of WB Job Details policies and procedures relevant to the area of assigned responsibilities and is able to apply/implement them.
- Versatility and adaptability – Demonstrates flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrates motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change.
- Client Orientation – Exhibits positive and professional client service attitude; is able to understand clients’ needs and complete them professionally.
- Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
- Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
- Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Has good knowledge of official unit’s language(s). Able to write clearly, edit and proofread draft communications. Able learn and share knowledge/information across the unit.
- Business Judgment and Analytical decision -making. Able to manage information and support retention and disposition of information and records. Can search, report, and deliver basic information from various sources and independently respond to basic inquiries.
World Bank Group Core Competencies
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
Learn more about working at the World Bank and IFC, including our values and inspiring stories.
About the Company
Company: IFC Systems Corporation –
Company Location: Pretoria, Gauteng